- Using a mandolin, slice pears thinly. (If you don’t have a mandoline, cut pears as thin as you can, about the thickness of a quarter.)
- Add water and sugar to a large saucepan.
- Boil water until the sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat to simmer, add spices, simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat add Marsanne and cool to room temperature.
- Once cool, carefully add pear slices, gently folding so all pears are evenly coated. Let sit for 2 hours.
- Prepare dehydrator by lightly spraying with nonstick spray or sparingly wipe with olive oil.
- Remove pear slices from the simple syrup with slotted spoon and lay carefully on the dehydrator racks.
- Dry on fruit setting, approximately 135°F for 8 hours or until just before crisp.
- Store in an air tight container.
Don’t have a Dehydrator? Use the oven!
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Follow instructions above for poaching the pears.
- Dry pears on paper towels.
- Place wax paper or a silicone pad on a baking sheet.
- Arrange pear slices in an even layer, not overlapping.
- Bake for 90 min to 2 hours or until dry but not brown.
- The chips will harden as they cool! Beware of over baking them.
- To check doneness, take out a sample slice. Check crispness after it has cooled 5 minutes.
Download a printable PDF of this recipe.
Recommended Wine Pairings