Savor the irresistible crunch and succulence of our Crackling Pork Belly with Apple Mustard, a tantalizing fusion of perfectly crisped pork belly paired with a zesty apple mustard sauce. This dish is a mouthwatering masterpiece that will leave your taste buds delighted and your guests craving more.
2-2.5 pounds pork belly with skin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1/3 cup of rock salt
3 granny smith apples, peeled and diced
Juice of one lemon
½ cup water
1 ½ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp sugar
½ cup whole grain mustard
- The night before cooking, prick the skin and fat of pork belly with a sharp knife or ice pick, but don’t go through to the meat. Be sure to cover the entire surface of the skin with pricks.
- Mix the salt, pepper, and paprika together in a small bowl and rub the mixture onto the meat side of the pork belly. Avoid getting any on the skin side. Place into a container and rest overnight refrigerated.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Place the pork belly on top of a large sheet of aluminum foil skin side up and raise all the sides of the foil on the side of the pork to create a box. Brush the vinegar on the skin.
- Layer the rock salt over the skin of the pork to completely cover, leaving no skin visible.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour. Remove the pork from the salt crust and place it on a sheet pan with a rack.
- Raise the temperature of the oven to 450F. Bake the pork for another 20-25 minutes until the skin has been completely roasted. Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes before cutting.
- Apple Mustard
- Toss the apples with salt and sugar and place them onto a baking pan. Pour water over the apples and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 300F for 30 minutes, then transfer the apples to a blender and blend in a blender until smooth. Stir in the mustard and serve alongside the pork belly. Sauce can be made the day before to reduce prep!
Recommended Wine Pairings